Friday, August 29, 2008

The day after

It's after 9pm already here in La Paz. Christen, Hollice, Brad and I managed to get through our first day without Terry in our lives. We of course had heavy hearts, still do. But, we managed to have a productive day and even fit in some sightseeing. We had a 10am appointment with the hospital administrator, a nice lady named Maria Luisa, to go over the final hospital bill and get wire transfer instructions. She also had copies of Terry's basic medical records and x-rays for us to take with us. We also had to deal with the mortuary people.

After that, we caught a taxi to the US Embassy - certainly a first for us all, to visit a US Embassy. But, we have friends there now and they were expecting us. When an American citizen dies abroad the Embassy is a big help in obtaining legal death certificates and mortuary arrangements and many other things. You would be amazed at how huge a help they can be (they were at the hospital with us all afternoon yesterday). We will be forever grateful. Anyway, we got through security okay (they held our phones and cameras, not allowed) and found our friend Lourdes who helped not only with the paperwork details but also with gaining us access to an embassy phone to call the USA (no charge) which was fabulous. You know, we were on US soil today for like 2 hours! I have to say it felt GOOD. It had been awhile for me! Lourdes and her husband and daughter all work at the embassy. They invited us to stay for lunch, and treated us to lunch in the embassy cafeteria. The ambassador was there too (we didn't meet him though)! After lunch we used the restroom - and it was just like a restroom in the USA! Nicest restroom I've been in since, well, the USA. Toilet seat covers, we could flush the TP down the toilet, oh the list goes on. Pretty silly, I know - but what a treat in this third world country.

From the embassy the four of us taxied to central La Paz so the kids could see a bit more of the city and do a little shopping. That was pleasant, and a great distraction. Lourdes' daughter Andrea met up with us around 4pm and we went and arranged for a day trip to Lake Titicaca tomorrow. Terry, Colleen and I were supposed to have gone to Lake Titicaca today ... Sorry, I digress. We have a private tour booked for the 5 of us (Andrea is going with us), and that will be a great way to get through the day. I'm sure it will be a great day ... sadness underlying it all, but a great day nonetheless.

It was a bit of a hassle, but we finally now have all of the paperwork required to take Terry's ashes home with us on Monday. I am sitting here looking at Terry's urn and I have to say it is somewhat comforting in a strange and sad way. Terry was cremated this afternoon, in accordance with his wishes. We plan to scatter some or most or all of Terry's ashes in Puget Sound as soon as we can arrange for us all to be together to do so. Maybe in October? We'll see. We are considering taking a small portion with us tomorrow and scatter at Lake Titicaca. We'll see.

Brad flies home to Colorado on Sunday, the rest of us on Monday. It will be nice to be home and amongst family and friends. My dear friend Holly is organizing an open house next Saturday 9/6 for friends and family to take time to remember Terry and share in our grief. If you would like to join us, please contact Holly directly at hserdy@hotmail.com . I will be there ... God willing.

As I write this, we (the kids and I) are going through Terry's personal belongings. It still feels very wrong that this has all happened. I miss Terry terribly and feel so bad that his life was cut short when we had so much more to do and see. I really appreciate all the love and support of family and friends. And Terry's kids, they've been terrific. It's been really special to have this time with them.

Please drop me a note any time, I'd love to hear from you. I think I am going to make this my last installment of the Terry updates. May he rest in peace and be sailing away to a better place ...

Love, Tammy

No comments: